Legal Manager, Employment
Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance. Check out remote.com/how-it-works to learn more or if you’re interested in adding to the mission, scroll down to apply now.
Please take a look at remote.com/handbook to learn more about our culture and what it is like to work here. Not only do we encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply, but we prioritize a sense of belonging. You can check out independent reviews by other candidates on Glassdoor or look up the results of our candidate surveys to see how others feel about working and interviewing here.
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
This is an exciting time to join Remote and make a personal difference in the global employment space as a Legal Manager, Employment, joining our Legal team as part of the Employment Specialists sub-team.
We are looking for a talented and experienced employment lawyer, who is interested in helping with our team’s mission, namely: supercharging our business through the provision of excellent legal advice and implementation of solid legal processes.
The Legal Manager, Employment would be responsible for managing and setting the direction of the Employment Specialists sub-team.
Remote’s well established Legal team is a bunch of friendly, talented highly motivated lawyers from a whole host of different countries, with some awesome experiences.
As Remote is increasing its global footprint, every expansion into a new country brings myriad legal issues. The Legal Team is responsible for the legal soundness of our business models, contractual agreements with clients and their staff (i.e. the employees we hire under our “Employer of Record” service – our “external employees”), legally compliant employee management and data protection compliance amongst other areas.
More specifically, our Employment Specialists:
- Support our Employee Lifecycle and People teams in managing internal and external employees; and
- Ensure Remote’s compliance with employment laws across jurisdictions.
Whilst also assisting other teams such as our International Operations team with expanding into new territories and and Product team in streamlining our product.
What this job can offer you
- Manage the direction of the Employment Specialists sub-team and working with the team to develop projects to support Remote’s cross-jurisdictional employment law compliance
- Take on a leadership role in cross-team legal projects working with key internal stakeholders and external partners to implement efficient and effective solutions to improve Remote’s service and product
- Build the Legal Team's knowledge base and expertise to make legal advice easier to access and utilise for other Remoters
- Institute best practices to help the Legal Team function more efficiently
- Advise Employee Lifecycle and People teams on a wide range of employment law issues across multiple jurisdictions, including advising on complex internal and external employee matters
What you bring
- Senior qualified lawyer with experience as Head of Employment in an in-house role
- Experience of managing a team of lawyers
- Extensive experience in advisory and contentious employment law including the entire employee lifecycle (recruitment, HR policies, benefits, and terminations are the key areas) and defending employee claims
- Experience in advising on employment law issues in multiple jurisdictions
- Interested in working for a tech-scaleup and specifically HR-tech
- Technologically competent with experience using (or the ability to quickly master) applications, such as Slack, Juro, Notion, Google Drive, Asana, Kissflow
- You'll report to: VP General Counsel
- Team: Legal
- Location: Anywhere in the world
- Start date: As soon as possible
Remote Compensation Philosophy
Remote's Total Rewards philosophy is to ensure fair, unbiased compensation and fair equity pay along with competitive benefits in all locations in which we operate. We do not agree to or encourage cheap-labor practices and therefore we ensure to pay above in-location rates. We hope to inspire other companies to support global talent-hiring and bring local wealth to developing countries.
Our benefits & perks are explained in our public handbook at remote.com/benefits.
How you’ll plan your day (and life)
We work async at Remote which means you can plan your schedule around your life (and not around meetings). Read more at remote.com/async.
You will be empowered to take ownership and be proactive. When in doubt you will default to action instead of waiting. Your life-work balance is important and you will be encouraged to put yourself and your family first, and fit work around your needs.
If that sounds like something you want, apply now!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
If you’re looking for a feel-good career that allows you to work and make an impact from anywhere in the world, you’ve come to the right place.