Senior Platform Engineer
Who are we?
We are Penneo, and we are on a mission to scale!
Penneo is a fast-growing RegTech (Regulatory Technology) SaaS company headquartered in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Penneo started with three people who had the ambition of reducing the hassle of getting documents signed by delivering a digital signature platform. Then, we evolved into a set of solutions for automating workflows related to client onboarding (KYC), signing, and document management.
Following our listing on Nasdaq Copenhagen Main Market in April 2022, we are now, more than ever, in a position to execute our European expansion strategy and scale our operations to maximize value to our existing and future customers.
We now have the opportunity to look for a Senior Platform Engineer to join our team. We're on a mission to support the scale-up of our products while maintaining performance, security, and costs at hand.
Who are we looking for?
At Penneo, we are always looking to forge new long-term relationships with people who resonate with our culture and values and are passionate about getting Penneo to the next level.
Do you want to be part of it?
We are now hiring a Senior Platform Engineer who will be responsible for building and supporting a shared platform that is used by multiple teams and products, focusing on performance, availability, security, scalability, and automation. We’re building this platform so that other engineers can focus their efforts on building the products.
You will report to our Platform Engineering Manager and have our awesome Engineering Teams as your closest collaborators.
This is a full-time position at our Penneo HQ in Copenhagen, Denmark.
About the team
Previously called “Infrastructure Team”, The Platform Team was rebranded to better fit our ambitions to build a platform that can be used across products to enable our engineers to be more independent.
To fit the growth of our Engineering department, we want to scale the Platform team to meet the demands of the other product teams. The good news is that joining a growing team will give you the opportunity to shape how this team evolves, which best practices to follow, and establish ways of working. The Platform team is growing and is currently formed by a Platform Engineering Manager and a Senior Platform Engineer. The Engineering team consists of 20+ people, and zooming out, Penneo as a whole, recently became a 120+ people company.
What would be your responsibilities?
A big part of your role will be developing, deploying, and maintaining DevOps tooling and Infrastructure to make the software delivery system run smoothly.
You will also be expected to:
- Design well-architected solutions, based on proven design patterns or paradigms.
- Lead initiatives to improve any aspect of the Platform like reliability, performance, security, costs, etc.
- Approach challenges in a creative and innovative manner, always trying to find the best solution for each requirement.
- Collaborate closely with others, specially but not limited to product teams, developers, and senior management.
- Keep up to speed with emerging technologies, learn new skills (how to make use of them too!), and follow multiple work streams in parallel.
- Build and evolve our incident management processes, to ensure that we know how to react if something stops working.
What makes you a great match?
Even though we appreciate your experience with other technologies and tools, we are currently specifically looking for someone that has experience with the following:
- Cloud Providers: Amazon Web Services (at least IAM, EC2, RDS, Route53, EBS, S3; extra points if you have worked with EFS, CloudHSM, MSK, CloudFront, ACM, and more).
- Infrastructure as Code: Ansible, Terraform, and CloudFormation (extra points if you have experience with TFSec, CheckOV, OpenPolicyAgent).
- CI/CD Platforms: GitHub Actions (TravisCI is a plus).
- Kubernetes: Service Meshes (Istio preferred), CNIs, Runtime Security, CRDs, Operators, Sidecars, etc.
- Logging: Loki, ElasticSearch
- Metrics: Prometheus and CloudWatch (experience with Thanos is a plus)
- Tracing: Jaeger, OpenTelemetry (experience with Grafana Tempo is a plus)
- Cloud Networking: Experience with L3/L4 Firewalls, Routing, and IPSec VPNs (BGP, AWS Transit Gateway, and DirectConnect are a plus).
- Software Engineering: Experience with Python 3, Go, and Node.js are nice to have
Every engineer has a unique mix of skills and experience, we will definitely take into consideration any relevant experience outside the ones mentioned above. The list above aims to showcase what kind of talent we are looking for. If you want deeper insights into our stack, check https://stackshare.io/penneo/platform
How will this role progress?
It is important to us to be as transparent as possible and to allow you to level expectations for the role. Therefore, we share our impact description in advance and would love your thoughts about it in your cover letter.
During the 1st month, you will:
- Meet your new colleagues and understand who is doing what;
- Get comfortable with the day-to-day operations of the Platform Engineering Team;
- Understand the problems Penneo solves for customers;
- Fulfill onboarding requirements, obtain credentials and required accesses;
- Get acquainted with the Platform Engineering team’s Roadmap;
- Improve or add missing documentation while going through the setup and onboarding process;
- Make your first contribution to the platform codebase.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Contribute individually to changes in at least two different engineering teams;
- Familiarize yourself with the architectures of all products;
- Identify opportunities to automate processes throughout the software development lifecycle.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Feel comfortable working with most of the products and engineering teams;
- Be able to propose, plan and execute improvements from the platform roadmap;
- Understand how to troubleshoot bugs and handle incidents in production environments;
- Have the confidence and knowledge to onboard and mentor other team members.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have contributed individually to our products and the platform;
- Be considered a referent within the team’s areas of expertise (like networking, cloud, CI/CD, container technologies, etc.);
- Act as the stakeholder of specific projects within the team, planning, executing, and following-up on any required tasks.
At this point, we want to support you in expressing your ambitious growth aspirations, and we're eager to learn on the journey with you. It all depends on your capabilities for continuous learning and, equally importantly - your dreams for the future.
By now, we hope you're sitting with a smile on your face, ready to apply and contribute to the Penneo adventure.
About our interview process:
We know that going through a recruitment process can be pretty demanding sometimes, so we want you to know what to expect:
- Call with a member of our Talent Acquisition Team (~30m): introduction to the company, mutual initial expectation leveling.
- Call with our Platform Engineering Manager, Kevin (~45m): Getting to know each other, assessing for mutual fit, introduction to the impact and goals for the position.
- Collaboration round (~1h): Together with two team members, you will discuss your approach to a problem scenario to assess collaboration fit and ways of working.
- The practicalities (~45m): Closing talk with Platform Engineering Manager, Kevin agreeing about compensation, starting date, and all other practical details.
All of our interviews can be conducted remotely, scheduled via email and Google Meet for audio/video calls if you prefer.
Best of success with your application!
We are screening and interviewing on an ongoing basis. If you are interested in any of our roles, please do not hesitate to submit your application.
Penneo is an equal-opportunity employer. All aspects of employment, hiring, and promotion are based on merit and business needs. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression.
Please be aware that if hired, as part of our Background check, we require a copy of your criminal record. We do that to ensure that we remain a trusted service provider and partner as well as to comply with relevant compliance requirements such as ISO27001.
We want to make it easy to do the right thing. Come be a part of it! #inthistogether